According to the IAAI Constitution and By-Laws, "the objectives and purposes of this Association shall be:
- To unite for mutual benefit those public officials and private persons engaged in the control of arson and kindred crimes.
- To provide for exchange of technical information and developments.
- To cooperate with other law enforcement agencies and associations to further fire investigation and the suppression of crime.
- To encourage high professional standards of conduct among members, and to continually strive to eliminate all factors which interfere with the administration of justice.
- To foster the advancement of the fire investigation profession through the promotion and facilitation of research; and the sponsorship of training, education and professional development."