• Responsible for determining the origin & cause of fires and explosions in structures and vehicular-type equipment by conducing complex fire and origin & cause investigations.
• Investigates accident scene by gathering evidence/data including still and video photography, witness interview documentation, as well as physical evidence and artifacts.
• Oversees field testing and witnesses interviews. Collects both onsite and field evidence/data as part of claim ownership.
• Compiles detailed and extensive oral and written investigative reports that document causes of fire or explosion incidents with direction from SIU leadership.
• Develops and maintains rapport and cooperation with federal, state and local government agencies, as well as private information bureaus that can assist in investigative efforts.
• Provides expert testimony based on determination of the origin and cause of fires and relates findings in a clear and concise manner in depositions and trials.
• Regularly attends/initiates meetings with senior claims management.
• Completes special projects as assigned.
• Senior SIU Fire Investigator will travel 50%
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with 5-7 years of experience in Fire Science and Origin/Cause fire investigations.
• CFEI and/or CFI certified.
• Demonstrates a basic knowledge of NFPA 921 and NFPA 1033 guidelines and standards.
• In depth knowledge and understanding of fuel and associated building and vehicle features, as well as an understanding of fire behavior and building construction.
• Requires approximately 50% travel.
New York (Secondary locations: Pennsylvania, New Jersey)